The heart has 4 separate cardiac valves.
1. Aortic valve (three leaflets)
2. Mitral valve (two leaflets)
3. Tricuspid valve (two leaflets)
4. Pulmonary valve (three leaflets)
These valves function to keep blood moving in a forward direction. Two major problems may occur with cardiac valves.
1. Narrowing or "stenosis"
2. Leakiness or "regurgitation"
Valve lesions are graded as trivial, mild, moderate and severe. Generally, severe valve lesions require treatment particularly if they are causing symptoms.